Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Little About Myself and the School

Hey guys. My name is Logan Callahan. I am a sophomore from Morristown, Tennessee. I am studying to be a high school history teacher, with a minor in Elementary Education. I chose Tusculum because of how close it was to my hometown, how small the campus size was, and how small class sizes were. I am a commuter student, which means I get to drive 35 minutes each day to come to class and I also get to spend a lot of money on coffee and energy drinks to make sure I stay awake on the road.
Many people ask why I choose to drive; it is because I am very close to my family; especially my two younger brothers. I work in Morristown; I also play on a competitive slow pitch softball team. People wonder if driving back and forth prevents me from living the "college life" and my answer is, no. Tusculum is a small enough campus where you get to know everyone, even when you don't live on campus. It's also a very active campus with people walking around outside. This is because of the great weather that East Tennessee has to offer.
Even knowing that I have to drive home everyday, I still participate in activities that happen on campus. Whether it’s an art and lecture event, an intramural sport, or a game of some sort. I also take part in the President's Society, which is an upperclassmen club that students are nominated into by staff and faculty. The President's Society does a lot with the admission office. We try to set an example and represent Tusculum to people who are interested in what Tusculum is all about. I also do my work study in the Admission Office. My work study job has provided a lot of opportunities such as, valuable work experience, getting recognized and having my face on a postcard. The best part is that the admission staff introduced me to a local restaurant called the Bean Barn; they have the best burgers in town, and is definitely a mandatory stop for anyone that is thinking of coming to Tusculum.

No comments: